Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: What if Sasso Moves Up Next Season
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2023

Who'd go 149?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 18, 2023

Sammy Alvarez?

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 18, 2023

Likely DeEmilio or Decatur, which means we’d have the same thing at 149 as we have at 141 this year, which is, in my opinion, a lower level national qualifier. Looking at the Buckeyes roster, we have to hope Paddy can improve dramatically from what we have been seeing and hold weight at 157 or we will be in trouble at both 149 and 157 after next season.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 18, 2023

If Sasso returns next season I think it'll be more beneficial for the team if he moves up to 157. Very possible both weights could be rather weak. 149 may be very tempting to stay at with Yianni graduating though.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

I’m kinda over D’Emilio at this point. I know he’s been injured, but to me he’s not even approached Johnny Dijulius status. For my money next year I’m thinking the lineup looks like this
125: Gonsalez
133: Bousakis
141: Mendes
149: D’Emilo/ Brown. I’m thinking Decatur transfers after he graduates.
157: Sasso
165: Paddy/ Hoepner
174: Maybe Karchla but I could see him hanging it up. Welch maybe?
184: Shumate?
197: Geog
285: Feldman. Season ending injury certainly doesn’t bode well for development. I hope for a speedy recovery.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I’m kinda over D’Emilio at this point. I know he’s been injured, but to me he’s not even approached Johnny Dijulius status. For my money next year I’m thinking the lineup looks like this
125: Gonsalez
133: Bousakis
141: Mendes
149: D’Emilo/ Brown. I’m thinking Decatur transfers after he graduates.
157: Sasso
165: Paddy/ Hoepner
174: Maybe Karchla but I could see him hanging it up. Welch maybe?
184: Shumate?
197: Geog
285: Feldman. Season ending injury certainly doesn’t bode well for development. I hope for a speedy recovery."

I agree for the most point here; a couple preferences:

Really hope TR can get a 125 transfer from the portal. If Gonzales is the guy next year based on what i've seen so far I think he flutters around #25-30 in the rankings. That's just not good enough.

I have faith in D'Emilio next year if he's at 149. It will be a wide open weight and let's hope he can make an impact.

184 is the huge question mark here. Shumate will be coming off a RS year, does Welch or Rogotzke challenge for the starting spot? I think so. What if Hoffman comes back to wrestle and Geog decides to drop to 184? I am basing all of this in the hopes Kharchla returns and goes 174# next season.

I think this lineup can certainly challenge for 2nd place next year- If TR can land a top 125 transfer (If there would even be a possibility) I think Penn St sweats a bit.

Recruit a stud 125 and 149 in the junior class and they will be right there for the next 2-3 seasons after.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

You guys are missing the forest for the trees at 125.

Brendan McCrone has won two opens and took 4th at CSU Open. His only contested loss there was 8-7 to Jack Medley (Michigan). He has bonus wins in over half his matches.

I'm on the McCrone express. Choo Choo....chugga chugga.

He's your future Ethan Lizak type and I'm betting he emerges as the starter next season.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/roster/season/2022-23/brendan-mccrone/

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"You guys are missing the forest for the trees at 125.

Brendan McCrone has won two opens and took 4th at CSU Open. His only contested loss there was 8-7 to Jack Medley (Michigan). He has bonus wins in over half his matches.

He's your future Ethan Lizak type and I'm betting he emerges as the starter next season.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/roster/season/2022-23/brendan-mccrone/"

Maybe, and I hope so, but in his 1 match under the "lights" so to speak, he lost to an unranked Indiana kid.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Alex: I'm not actually sold on McCrone but he has been better than expected. Just trying to have some fun. And I do see potential.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"You guys are missing the forest for the trees at 125.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/roster/season/2022-23/brendan-mccrone/"

Maybe, and I hope so, but in his 1 match under the "lights" so to speak, he lost to an unranked Indiana kid."

I had the same perspective. I certainly hope he ends up being a viable piece to the Bucks roster. At this point i'm just not sold he is the end all, be all for 125 next season. Advantage over Gonzalez right now? Likely, but not a huge margin i'm sure.

Jason Fair added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

It will be interesting to see McCrone’s development. I am most curious to see how Kilkeary stacks up at 125. He could surprise.

With respect to the lineup, as much as I would like to see Mendes wrestle next year, I think he would benefit from a RS. I think he could be a 3x’er at 141.

Unless Paddy makes a leap between now and next season, if Sasso goes up he becomes odd man out I suspect. I would take Hepner over him comfortably.

I think Welsh is a 174. If Carson is back and up at 174, the Welsh can RS. Rogotzke and Shumate battle for 184. I would love to see how Geog compares with Hoffman. Maybe we get to see him in a dual or two still?

Really disappointing that we won’t get to see Feldman in action. I wonder if he is back on the mat or how long it’ll be before he can practice live.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Tom Ryan said recently that Mendes is big for 133 and could bump up as many as two weights next year.

Malik will be the starter at 125 until he leaves or someone better comes in. He’s not surrendering the spot to Gonzalez or McCrone.

Jason Fair added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Tom Ryan said recently that Mendes is big for 133 and could bump up as many as two weights next year.

Right now Jesse is weighing in at 133. Hope he does grow into at least 141 but I personally think he could benefit from a RS next year either way.

Malik will be the starter at 125 until he leaves or someone better comes in. He’s not surrendering the spot to Gonzalez or McCrone."

Not sure I’ve seen that disputed. This is talk about next season lineup and Malik is out of eligibility after this season.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Isn't this Malik's last season? I'm talking about next year at 125.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Ah, can’t keep eligibility straight anymore after the free Covid year.

Yes, Malik is done after this year. Grabbing a transfer would be ideal, but realistically how many top-12 caliber guys will be looking to move?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next