Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Past blueprint?
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 15, 2023

Literally, just five seasons ago the Buckeye's had 6 NCAA semi-finalist. We went 2 of 6 in those matches ( Snyder and Martin won). However, 6 semi-finals out of 10 weight classes is very impressive. We actually had more than Penn State but of course they went 5 for 5. I'm just wondering what will it take to get back to that level? Obviously, we need to keep the very best in state right? How many top ohio recruits has panned out in the last 5 years?

How do you attract the #1 out of state recruit in the nation like a Kyle Snyder or someone with a very high ceiling like Martin? Of course the NIL agreement can attract top athletes financially but the top kids want to win the Olympics and World Championships. I just think the Bucks need to put some emphasis on improving the RTC.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 16, 2023

No Tervel....No Lou Rosselli...no one outside the program with different perspectives. That's one issue in my opinion.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 16, 2023

NIL money.

Secondhand, some AAs are getting paid as much as assistant coaches. If you think about it, they do represent the program and are the bellwether of performance. No different than standouts in other sports. The market determines their worth. If you can do special things in front of an audience, you get paid.

If you can afford to pay 50K for a semifinalist/finalist; there's your answer.

I want to know what the NIL is for Real Woods. I want to know the structure of the deals.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 16, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"NIL money.

Secondhand, some AAs are getting paid as much as assistant coaches. If you think about it, they do represent the program and are the bellwether of performance. No different than standouts in other sports. The market determines their worth. If you can do special things in front of an audience, you get paid.

If you can afford to pay 50K for a semifinalist/finalist; there's your answer.

I want to know what the NIL is for Real Woods. I want to know the structure of the deals."

As a blue chipper, if NIL had been available when you wrestled, would it have changed your decision making in regard to where to wrestle, Rex?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 16, 2023

Don't know, different era.

I'm learning that a lot of today's state champions are being held back a year or two in grade/middle/high school. The only reason you do that is to give your kid an advantage. Everything is influenced by winning and money.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

So, at the end of the day, Real Woods, A transfer, will add about twenty points to the Iowa team total, which will equate into a second place team finish. Otherwise, they don't have a finalist and finish out of the trophy race.

If he was given 50K, I would say Iowa made good on ROI.

Also, it's about winning. A good point was brought up that if Lee wins last night, he's wrestling today. He suffers a devastating loss, not so much.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

"
Also, it's about winning. A good point was brought up that if Lee wins last night, he's wrestling today. He suffers a devastating loss, not so much."

Then everyone should just default out after their first loss.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

"If he was given 50K, I would say Iowa made good on ROI."

It was rumor mill stuff, but I remember hearing at the time that he was paid $100k.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

I remember having more than one time in college being overdrawn with my account. That $ goes along way. I loved Toledo, but had I been an all star wrestler, 50k 100k. Hell, any money, I would have been gone.

The fact osu is in 3rd with only 1 in the finals is really a gift I think this year. We absolutely will have to get back to putting 3 in the finals at a minimum to ever contend with Penn. Mendez has something special so hopefully incoming recruits will do some damage. We lose alot so we may be looking at similar finishes. 3rd 4th isn't bad though.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

"Don't know, different era.

I'm learning that a lot of today's state champions are being held back a year or two in grade/middle/high school. The only reason you do that is to give your kid an advantage. Everything is influenced by winning and money."

In regards to kids being held back: There is a fallacy name (which I forget) for when everyone does the same thing to overcome such an advantage. Thomas Sowell explained it as one person in the bleachers of an event standing to get a better view. If everyone stands, not everyone receives the advantage. (Note: Sowell explained it in reference to getting first a HS diploma and then a college degree. His critique came from a push to give everyone a HS diploma, and then, the push for everyone to get a college degree.) Interesting thought.

► Add to the Discussion