Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kaleb Romero vs Bo Jordan
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Just for kicks....and to kill time...let's compare some Buckeye wrestlers and argue over who was better and why. I'm not asking who'd win a match between them. When we get bored, we'll start a new one.

Kaleb vs Bo

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

My two cents:

Deciding factor would be Bo’s ability to ride.

Like 2-1 with RT.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Seems like pretty clearly Bo?

3, 3, 2 (robbed), 5 over 5 years
v.
NQ, R12, 6, 3 over 6 years.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Bo lost 14 matches through 5 seasons. Kaleb had a better senior season but thats it. Bo dealt with injuries and wasn’t the same wrestler his senior year. For the career not even close though. Kaleb did get better every year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

Yeah but senior year Kaleb Romero was arguably better than Bo his last season.

Also, Romero was a 3x AA as I recall. He received AA status as a covid casualty based on his BT finish and ranking. That counts for him and Pletcher and Moore.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

Bo would’ve been an all-time great but for three circumstances:

-debilitating foot injury that kept him from training
-juggling wrestling duties with dad duties
-competing against his cousin, which understandably made Bo uncomfortable

Never forget that as a RS freshman Bo began the season at 174 and was mauling opponents. Then he dropped to 165 to make room for Myles Martin. Bo finished third at nationals, losing to Dieringer, and Martin won a title. That title may have gone to Bo had he stayed at 174 and Martin remained in redshirt.

Excited to see Bo continue to grow as a coach. The Bucks started freshmen at the four highest weights last season, and Bo deserves kudos for helping Welsh and Feldman to big postseasons.

Romero got better every season, where Bo regressed for the reasons above. It’s a tough comparison.

Romero’s win over Hidlay to finish third at nationals and help the Bucks secure a team trophy was enormous.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Bo would’ve been an all-time great but for three circumstances:

-debilitating foot injury that kept him from training
-juggling wrestling duties with dad duties
-competing against his cousin, which understandably made Bo uncomfortable

Never forget that as a RS freshman Bo began the season at 174 and was mauling opponents. Then he dropped to 165 to make room for Myles Martin. Bo finished third at nationals, losing to Dieringer, and Martin won a title. That title may have gone to Bo had he stayed at 174 and Martin remained in redshirt.

Excited to see Bo continue to grow as a coach. The Bucks started freshmen at the four highest weights last season, and Bo deserves kudos for helping Welsh and Feldman to big postseasons.

Romero got better every season, where Bo regressed for the reasons above. It’s a tough comparison.

Romero’s win over Hidlay to finish third at nationals and help the Bucks secure a team trophy was enormous."

I agree with this. Not sure I could add anything of value.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

Bo clearly the better wrestler in that matchup unless you're comparing strictly senior year vs. senior year.

That said, Romero is one of my favorite wrestlers of the past 20 years of Buckeye history. It's incredibly gratifying to see somebody work, and work, and work until they're among the elite. Worth noting that he also had his fair share of injuries to deal with.

Both guys always competed hard, and with class.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

I loved each of these guys. Agree with the sentiments about Bo's career not turning out the way anyone expected, but as somebody who had similar experiences, he came out of college with wasn't it 3 kids? I did the same, and while i can't relate to Bo's perspective on his goals and potential, I am fairly confident he wouldn't trade any of what he had for that title. I also think he deserves a lot of credit for the rapid emergence of some of these young upper weights.

I don't know what Romero is up to, is he coaching anywhere at this point or still planning on competing? He's such a thoughtful guy, and I was thrilled to see his career end the way it did after taking some tough losses and dealing with injuries throughout his career.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 5, 2024

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I don't know what Romero is up to, is he coaching anywhere at this point or still planning on competing? He's such a thoughtful guy, and I was thrilled to see his career end the way it did after taking some tough losses and dealing with injuries throughout his career."

Off to the corporate world, working in medical sales.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on June 5, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I don't know what Romero is up to, is he coaching anywhere at this point or still planning on competing? He's such a thoughtful guy, and I was thrilled to see his career end the way it did after taking some tough losses and dealing with injuries throughout his career."

Off to the corporate world, working in medical sales."

Last summer, I was on vacation enjoying breakfast in Bonita Springs with my brother-in-law when Kaleb walks in. He was meeting with some executives in the booth across from us, so I took the opportunity to introduce myself and share with them what a talented wrestler he is and that they should hire him. It's always surprising how small the world can be sometimes.

► Add to the Discussion