Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Top Russians Not Eligible For Paris 2024
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 15, 2024

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12637734-ioc-rules-top-russian-wrestlers-not-eligible-for-paris-games?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0zVJ3T5fX97MhLecJbPeC0DBwa2fTxPSbxhZ8xt7emSWTDL_-BGgV-CPE_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 15, 2024

I loathe Russia’s invasion of Ukraine but I think this is a ridiculous and borderline corrupt action by the IOC. Who are they to pick and choose which civilians to punish for voicing nationalist views when their country is at war?

This puts an asterisk on these Olympics and makes me grieve for Sadulaev and Sidakov—perhaps the two best wrestlers in the world.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 15, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I loathe Russia’s invasion of Ukraine but I think this is a ridiculous and borderline corrupt action by the IOC. Who are they to pick and choose which civilians to punish for voicing nationalist views when their country is at war?

This puts an asterisk on these Olympics and makes me grieve for Sadulaev and Sidakov—perhaps the two best wrestlers in the world."

I don't disagree with you. I think it's odd that some Russians are able to compete while others aren't.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 15, 2024

Well, they dodged a bullet here.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/what-does-roc-stand-and-why-did-russia-get-banned-olympics

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annakaplan/2022/02/09/russias-embroiled-in-another-olympic-drug-scandal-heres-how-it-all-started/

Right or wrong, the Olympics are far more about politics (even getting selected is political) than they are about sports.

BTW, I am not passing judgement but simply stating that there are other views.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 15, 2024

I too am completely against Russia’s aggression in Ukraine. But if you’re going to keep athletes out for views they have, then they should have some sort of questionnaire that athletes fill out after qualifying. Otherwise it’s a bullshit political statement that has no business anywhere near sports, Olympic or otherwise.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 16, 2024

I agree with those of you who point out one's beliefs should not result in disqualification. After all, who's the arbiter of what is just? But it's hard to feel sorry for the Russians as they thrive in a culture that encourages cheating. Indeed, they teach it.

I think a more interestiing question is how one feels about Americans competing for other countries. Rivera, Gomez, Amine, Micic and RBY are all in the mix for medals. Personally, I'll root first for those repping the USA but I hope these guys also do well.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 16, 2024

While Russia has elevated it to an art form and I assume it’s more systemic and top down than bottom up, the USA has certainly had its fair share of positive tests over the years.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 17, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"This puts an asterisk on these Olympics and makes me grieve for Sadulaev and Sidakov—perhaps the two best wrestlers in the world."

There's a 21 year old Russian wrestling for Bahrain that would beg to differ :-D

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 17, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"While Russia has elevated it to an art form and I assume it’s more systemic and top down than bottom up, the USA has certainly had its fair share of positive tests over the years."

In wrestling?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 17, 2024

No, just in athletics in general…Olympics and otherwise.

► Add to the Discussion