Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bo bassett
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 19, 2024

Started the day with 80 teams and has narrowed his list to 73. Every Wednesday he will narrow his list. This could be a long process lol. I’m pretty certain buckeyes will be in until the end. Never seen a kid do this before.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 19, 2024

This type of self promotion would normally annoy me but with Bassett for some reason it doesn’t. I like the kid.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 20, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"This type of self promotion would normally annoy me but with Bassett for some reason it doesn’t. I like the kid."

He's in control of his brand. He's a commodity and he's going to cash in on it. Will be interesting to see how far he can take it not just as a wrestler but as a potential celebrity.

Unfortunately for the Bucks, the "name brands" of college wrestling are Iowa and PSU--in that order--with Oklahoma State and potentially Iowa State in the next tier. As fine a job as Tom Ryan has done, Bucks are a football school. They just don't have much national recognition for wrestling to the general public as a whole.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 20, 2024

Meh, I think it' overkill and i'll slowly become more and more annoyed with his promoting or however you want to phrase it. But i'm also probably just grumpy.

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"This type of self promotion would normally annoy me but with Bassett for some reason it doesn’t. I like the kid."

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 20, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Started the day with 80 teams and has narrowed his list to 73. Every Wednesday he will narrow his list. This could be a long process lol. I’m pretty certain buckeyes will be in until the end. Never seen a kid do this before."

Also curious who the first 7 teams are that he dropped from his list.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on June 20, 2024

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12648837-bo-bassett-narrows-his-school-list

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 20, 2024

He's going to piss off a lot of schools needlessly. Will it come back to bite him?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 4, 2024

Ohio state survived to the top 59 schools. Ohio u, Kent State, and Cleveland State all got eliminated this round.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on July 4, 2024

"Ohio state survived to the top 59 schools. Ohio u, Kent State, and Cleveland State all got eliminated this round."

Realistically were any of them even in the running?

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on July 4, 2024

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"Ohio state survived to the top 59 schools. Ohio u, Kent State, and Cleveland State all got eliminated this round."

Realistically were any of them even in the running?"

Maybe he's just having fun with all those coaches who tell him that 'you're are number one guy...', when he knows they tell the same thing to every guy they talk to? :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 4, 2024

Ohio has four D1 college programs, we're a top wrestling state, and Bassett thinks three of them are a waste of time.

Not good.

FWIW--Cleve. State has a nice group of recruits coming in and has been a much more competitive dual team the last two seasons.

OU has some talent and a returning AA in Kellar but never seems able to stay healthy.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 9, 2024

19 coaching staffs have visited Bo in last four days. Ohio state sent Stieber and Moore. This makes me wonder if Moore is now becoming an ortc coach to replace Rosselli.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 11, 2024

He fits the bill for an upper weight coach. The only thing I don’t like about the make up of the staff is that they don’t have a lot of diversity of training or thought. Every coach has been trained under TR. All are Ohio high school kids. Tom is the only one that ever trained, competed, or coached somewhere else. Sometimes it’s good for the growth of a program to have some outside perspective. They do a tremendous job. Just an observation

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 11, 2024

Jared I have thought the exact same thing. The truth is that Tom just has too much loyalty to his kids. Bassett said coach Moore came to see him which is probably pretty indicative that he is now taking a coaching role. I think an outside perspective should be used also.

An outside hire probably just will never happen and I don’t see any of the coaching staff ever leaving anytime soon. They all make 6 figures + a year and a winning program already with job security. I remember jaggers already made a comment that associate head coach at Ohio state is one of the best coaching jobs in the country and he is happy with that. If anyone would leave I would guess it would be Stieber because his credentials are obviously the highest but only to be a head coach.

Other Tom Ryan wrestlers to coach are Nick Heflin who coached with Rosselli at Oklahoma. I was hoping maybe he came back to Columbus as a coach and definitely help out as a strength coach also. Need more upper weight guys like Jared said.

Pletcher coaches at Pitt

Hoffman I believe just accepted a role at lock haven

Reece Humphrey who is at Princeton. He is having amazing success so far for that program and was named USA coach of the year a few years back. I would love to be able to get him back to Ohio state one day.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 11, 2024

They may be from TOSU but they have, in my opinion, very different styles and technique to offer. Further, I imagine they learn some new stuff internationally.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next