Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Sammy sasso
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 23, 2024

Per social media looks like he will be wrestling this year. If he’s anywhere near the same wrestler he was Ohio state should be holding the runner up trophy. Let’s go Sammy!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2024

Fingers crossed that he's in good shape to compete. I'm a huge fan and would love to see him countering shots and cradling the competition.

What weight class?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 23, 2024

https://x.com/mrpatmineo/status/1804971277813436765?s=46

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2024

Sasso returning and being in physical shape to continue is like adding a 3x AA and former finalist from the transfer portal. This is huge.

Now go get Ferrari? (sorry--couldn't resist)

Just for kicks:
125: Kilkeary/McCrone
133: Bouzakis
141: Mendez
149: Sasso/Demilio
157: Sasso/Gallagher
165: Wilcox/Hepner
174: Welsh/Kharchla
184: Rogotzke/Shumate
197: Geog/Shumate
285: Feldman

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 24, 2024

This is big. I think a saw a quote from Sammy saying if he can't get back to the point he was at prior to the shooting, he wasn't going to wrestle. From his X comment he sounds like he is back. I just hope TR let's Sammy pick the weight Sammy feels he will perform his best at, I think he has earned that choice, IMO.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 25, 2024

Sammy will have his choice which weight he will go. If I had to guess it would be 149 however. He wrote at end of season these 149 pounders are lucky I wasn’t there. Tom also has said he needs to earn the spot. He must be far ahead of where he thought he would be because he said the comeback is 100 percent happening and originally the decesion wasn’t even going to be made until second semester. If he returns to form then Ohio State needs to go all in for second place. It has been a while since that sort of finish now, and need to take them when you can get them. With Oklahoma $$tate on the rise you take second place when you can.

So what does Ohio state need to do in my opinion? Welsh and kharchla both need to be in the lineup. They both can high all American and you don’t use a redshirt for welsh. This means Carson needs to go 165 or welsh needs to go 184.

Also davino if he is better ( which I think at this point he is). I really believe he is a high all American this season if they wrestle him.

This team could keep it very interesting in a home dual against Penn state
125 lilladahl win
133 davino over Davis/nagao. Already has beat Davis
141 Mendez win
149 sasso win
157 paddy kasak i think is close. Paddy had two wins over AA last year. I expect a good year from him
165 messenbrink wins
174 kharchla/ Haines could be close
184 welsh over Barr. Already has wins over him
197 starrocii
285 Kerkvliet but Feldman keeps closing the gap. He is on a trajectory to possible overtake him. He was in deep late at ncaas and just needed to be a little stronger to finish.

While everything would have to go right I think Ohio state is favored in four and three matches will be close. Three matches are clearly Penn state. This dual could be very exciting

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 25, 2024

Bring in Ferrari and we win the dual? I'd take a huge Ferrari over an undersized Starocci. It would kind of be like Voldemort vs Voldemort.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 25, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"157 paddy kasak i think is close. 174 kharchla/ Haines could be close"

Sorry Nick, but PSU is favored *heavily* in both of these bouts.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

People love to forget how good a healthy Kharchla can be. The one who was close to beating otoole but got completely screwed by the ref. The one who beat Mekhi Lewis and marinelli. If kharchla comes back from surgery at 100 percent no one is a huge favor against Kharchla ecspecially a guy who went up 2 weights. While it may be wishful thinking to get him healthy an entire season, we have seen a healthy Carson in the past and he is very good.

Kasak on the other hand did catch fire on the backside at ncaas like a lot of guys have done in the past but nothing tells me he is a phenom yet. He wrestled two close matches with demilio and wasn’t tearing the world on fire until after he lost his opening round match at ncaas. I could definitely see paddy and him being very close, especially a guy who is really a 141 pounder last season and forced to move up after Bartlett beat him and is going to be forced to move up yet again another weight class because of the comeback of van ness.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on June 27, 2024

" He wrestled two close matches with demilio ..."

7-2 is a close match?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 27, 2024

Maybe I misremembering that match but I believe it was close until late. The big ten match was 3-2. Kasak also lost to Michael cetta from Rutgers and Abas from Stanford. All I’m saying is he will be probably an undersized 157 going against someone who I think was making strides last season and I believe could have been an AA if healthy. A home dual is also an advantage. I think Paddy can definitely win that. Maybe kasak jumps levels and fills in the weight but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Paddy wins that one.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 27, 2024

Nick the D-bags on PSU forum are not saying nice things about you for thinking Ohio state can compete with PSU. How dare you think anyone can beat or hang with a PSU guy.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 27, 2024

Paddy Gallagher beat the number 5 and 6 ranked guys heading into this year on both wrestlestat and flo. Kasak is ranked 4.

Paddy’s losses last year andonian twice( the guy who nearly beat Haines at ncaas). Shapiro. Ed scott. And Downey who he went 1-1 against. Also beat Keller. No bad losses with a couple big wins. He is right there.

And for the people who think I’m stupid for saying this could be a close dual tell me which weight class I’m wrong about.

Davino over Davis/ Nagao. I will bet that’s a win if anyone wants action.
Mendez the guy who looks to have jumped even more levels since last season? Beat James green, Yianni, McKenna, Allirez in offseason.
Sasso if healthy who already has beat van ness?
Welsh who has already beat Barr???

That’s four wins. Paddy, kharchla, and Feldman could all be underdogs but I think all three are winnable. We would probably need to get two of those wins because the three we for sure lose could all be bonus losses. It could be interesting and actually come down to heavy imo. Not saying we will win but think this is a close dual and they may actually sweat a little. At ncaas they beat us by 60 miinimum with a healthy sasso. Dual we can compete somewhat.

I’m glad I gave pay fans something to talk about. I’ll have to go check it out lol. Let them know I’m 2x NCAA pickems champ so I’m pretty good at predictions.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 27, 2024

Nick just want you to know you're my favorite poster on here.

"Paddy Gallagher beat the number 5 and 6 ranked guys heading into this year on both wrestlestat and flo. Kasak is ranked 4.

Paddy’s losses last year andonian twice( the guy who nearly beat Haines at ncaas). Shapiro. Ed scott. And Downey who he went 1-1 against. Also beat Keller. No bad losses with a couple big wins. He is right there.

And for the people who think I’m stupid for saying this could be a close dual tell me which weight class I’m wrong about.

Davino over Davis/ Nagao. I will bet that’s a win if anyone wants action.
Mendez the guy who looks to have jumped even more levels since last season? Beat James green, Yianni, McKenna, Allirez in offseason.
Sasso if healthy who already has beat van ness?
Welsh who has already beat Barr???

That’s four wins. Paddy, kharchla, and Feldman could all be underdogs but I think all three are winnable. We would probably need to get two of those wins because the three we for sure lose could all be bonus losses. It could be interesting and actually come down to heavy imo. Not saying we will win but think this is a close dual and they may actually sweat a little. At ncaas they beat us by 60 miinimum with a healthy sasso. Dual we can compete somewhat.

I’m glad I gave pay fans something to talk about. I’ll have to go check it out lol. Let them know I’m 2x NCAA pickems champ so I’m pretty good at predictions."

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 27, 2024

"People love to forget how good a healthy Kharchla can be. The one who was close to beating otoole but got completely screwed by the ref. The one who beat Mekhi Lewis and marinelli. If kharchla comes back from surgery at 100 percent no one is a huge favor against Kharchla ecspecially a guy who went up 2 weights. While it may be wishful thinking to get him healthy an entire season, we have seen a healthy Carson in the past and he is very good."

Your unending faith in Kharchla is admirable, but the fact that you have to bring up results from 2022 already proves the point.

Haines is an undefeated national champ, and PSU has a strong track record when bumping guys.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next