Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze
Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Trying to avoid recency bias; however, I think it’s fair to ask the question…as it stands prior to the start of his senior year, where do you put Marcus in the pantheon of all time Ohio high school wrestlers? Just speaking on high school, trying not to project out. It’s a forgone conclusion that he will win his forth, but he has won Fargo, he has won a U17 world title, he very likely may win a U20 world title in the next couple of weeks, and he finished third at the Olympic trials and is on the senior national team. I think you can put that resume up against the all timers, and that’s with a year to go. Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Agreed, seems he's right there with Ohio's best ever. Not a foregone conclusion that the next year goes without blemish, though, as the domestic competition is stiff. He appears to be the cream of the elite lightweight HS crop right now, but within margins.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Fried, Dustin, Taylor, Stieber, Blaze, Carr(?)

Who am I missing?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Just going off high school results:

Taylor 2 losses in high school- Clark and Ben Sargent (I think)

Stieber- 1 loss? (Taylor)

Fried- No clue

Schlatter- A few

Blaze- 2 losses Davino and ?

While high school only could be a great debate here, do any of these guys even sniff what Blaze has done on the freestyle/international circuit thus far?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Yeah those other guys are comparable. Fried is the only 4x Junior National champ in history, was named OW of the equivalent of Junior Worlds at the time. While still in HS, he took down reigning world champion John Smith twice in a match.

Schlatter/Taylor/Stieber were utterly dominant at Fargo... between those three, there are probably 15-20 Fargo titles across both styles and a single career Fargo loss. I think Schlatter might have won 9 Fargo titles himself, but that number may be off. I do recall he entered and won a couple college tournaments while in HS.

I believe Cadet/Junior World championships did not exist in Schlatter's time, and it was not nearly emphasized in Taylor/Stieber's time the way it is today. Stieber finished third at Sr. US Open in the middle of his high school career, tech falled 2X NCAA champ Matt Valenti, then took NCAA champ Angel Escobedo within 10 seconds of victory.

Carr may be a step below these others, but also excellent.

I'll also add... there is a LOT more parity across age groups today than there was 15-30 years ago. So while Blaze's success at senior level is very impressive today, it seemed even more exceptional when some of these others were doing it.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Good stuff Ben.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Yeah those other guys are comparable. Fried is the only 4x Junior National champ in history, was named OW of the equivalent of Junior Worlds at the time. While still in HS, he took down reigning world champion John Smith twice in a match.

Schlatter/Taylor/Stieber were utterly dominant at Fargo... between those three, there are probably 15+ Fargo titles across both styles and a single career Fargo loss. I think Schlatter might have won 9 Fargo titles himself, but that number may be off. I do recall he entered and won a couple college tournaments while in HS.

I believe Cadet/Junior World championships did not exist in Schlatter's time, and it was not nearly emphasized in Taylor/Stieber's time the way it is today. Stieber finished third at Sr. US Open in the middle of his high school career, tech falled 2X NCAA champ Matt Valenti, then took NCAA champ Angel Escobedo within 10 seconds of victory.

Carr may be a step below these others, but also excellent.

I'll also add... there is a LOT more parity across age groups today than there was 15-30 years ago. So while Blaze's success at senior level is very impressive today, it seemed even more exceptional when some of these others were doing it."

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

His two losses were both at Ironman. Leo deluca and davino. Both were ultimate tiebreakers. He has two wins over both the guys he lost to also. ( Davino in freestyle however)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

At this point in his career, Marcus Blaze’s resume stacks up to any Ohio high schooler in our state’s history, period.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"At this point in his career, Marcus Blaze’s resume stacks up to any Ohio high schooler in our state’s history, period."

No argument. But it's important to remember that everyone I named (with the possible exception of Carr) was considered equally remarkable at the time.

Lee Kemp didn't start wrestling until 9th grade but after winning a state title, he defeated a wrestler from the Soviet Union who outweighed him by ten pounds in freestyle. The Soviets had a "junior" team that went from region to region kicking everyone's butt. Kemp shocked everyone when he won this match. And Kemp was never held back. He then went on to finish within an OT referee's decision of becoming the first 4 time NCAA D1 champ in history. Then he won three world titles, earned a world bronze and was favored to win gold as our Olympic rep in 1980.

Kemp might have been the best guy on this list.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Blaze is among the very best. He’s risen above an exceptionally strong weight nationally with wins over Luke Lilledahl and Jax Forrest. He’s already beating NCAA champs and finalists.

My eyes tell me David Taylor is the best wrestler Ohio produced in the last 20-30 years. Dominant in every position. He holds a HS win over Logan Stieber, so a debate between those two in my mind is settled. He also went up in weight to take on Collin Palmer, winning a classic between the four-timers.

I see little value in comparing the greats based primarily on resumes. All of them won huge tournaments. None had more than a few losses. They competed against different fields, some in different eras.

Trust your eyes.

A guy who never gets enough credit is Ryan Bertin. He didn’t win a state title until his senior season, so he can’t be in this conversation. But his senior season was absolutely dominant, rivaling anyone on this list. Bertin then went onto Michigan and won two NCAA titles.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

The “best wrestler Ohio has produced” in the last 20-30 years is an interesting way to phrase it. It allows a lot of subjective criteria choices. Produced to do what?

If it’s a combination of high school results and being ready to go in college, I think its Dustin. Dominated the returning champ (twice I think) on his way to a title freshman year. Only loss was one point on a debatable tactical decision. Injuries derailed a potentially legendary career.

Logan, in fact, HAD a legendary career, 4 natties with a couple of losses to great wrestlers. That was a pretty good wrestler produced by Ohio. That he lost a close bout early in their high school careers does not separate for me D.T. over Logan, all things considered.

I wrote this a few weeks ago but I can’t put D.T. as the best over the last 20-30 years because he lost two of his biggest matches on the biggest stage, one by pin. The loss to Dake I get. Bubba? Perplexing. One of the greats, no question. The greatest? I just don’t get the logic.

Always a fun topic to debate.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Roe, Blaze is the center of this debate and he’s still in HS. Thus, college credentials can’t be considered. Admittedly though they are hard to disregard.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 26, 2024

Feels like Blaze’s impact is growing daily. A Perrysburg pipeline sure feels like a good idea.

Was thinking the other day: is Grey Burnett the next Ohio ‘must get’? Incredibly accomplished already and man does he look good in his wins.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 28, 2024

Anyone have a pulse on where Blaze will wrestle collegiately?

I heard rumors Bassett is leaning towards Penn State, no surprise there.

Does Marcus spend a lot of time in and around Columbus training?

Basett is gonna be a huge haul for whomever lands him but I think the Bucks have to be all-in on 'Ohio boy' Blaze.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 29, 2024

Blaze will be between Ohio state and Penn state. If I was forced to guess I would say Penn state.

Bassett is a complete rumor. He’s not even close to deciding. He has narrowed it down to 66 schools. He is telling zero people right now or ever that Penn state is leading. He hasn’t even started getting nil offers yet. Basset will be between Ohio state, Penn state, Oklahoma state, or Iowa I can almost assure you. It may come to the biggest nil deal.

While grey Burnett is very good, he is not a must get. I don’t think he is a superstar at the next level but will have a good career imo. I like Feister in that class more than Burnett. Feister may be a buckeye, but it won’t be for wrestling unfortunately. The buckeyes will definitely take Burnett, but not a must get. Blaze, Stieber, Taylor, Jordan, Palmer, jaggers, Carr, Schlatter, were must gets. He’s not even close to that level. The next must get may be an incoming freshman. His last name is Rowlands. I have a feeling he may be a buckeye…..

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next