Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks LIne Up?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 28, 2024

Tom Ryan gave an interview to Flo from the NWCA convention. He touched on a variety of topics including his accident, ongoing recovery, possible future roster cap of 30 wrestlers, NIL, Ohio RTC and next season's possible lineup. Based on the things he said, this might be what we see next season.

125: Kilkeary
He likes McCrone as well and talked about how dangerous he is but that he needs to improve his vulnerabilities.

133: Bouzakis
He had a lot of positive comments about Nic but pointed out that Davino is also very good. He was asked if Davino could drop but nixed that idea. Ryan did mention that you have a limited amount of seasons to put a great group on the mat. My interpretation: Bouzakis probably starts with Davino potentially redshirting.

141: Mendez

149: Demilio but with a challenge from Cannon. He referred to DD as a former AA but mentioned that Cannon is someone worth watching.

157: Sasso if he's ready. He said Sam had shown a lot of initial progress then plateaued but seems to be progressing again. If Sasso can't go, my guess is Gallagher.

165: Gallagher probably moves up if Sasso is ready to compete. Wilcox is once again your utility man plus Chase Carter showed promise last year.

174: Kharchla probably starts if the staff feels good about Welsh moving up. But if Welsh chooses to stay at 174, or it's just obviously where he belongs, we could see a battle between these two. Ryan doesn't want to redshirt a guy who took 2nd in the nation. Again, he wants to have all the best wrestlers in the lineup possible at the same time. That said--Welsh has a year to sit if need be.

184: Welsh starts here if he's comfortable moving up. Otherwise, my guess is Rogotzke.

197: This weight wasn't discussed but I'm guessing it's Geog or Shumate.

285: Feldman

Again, this is me extrapolating what I heard from Coach Ryan. It's July 28. A lot may change. In addition, Ryan continued to state that rarely does it make sense to look for someone in the transfer portal unless it's an obvious upgrade. He thinks that you'd have to grab someone who fits your culture and is an obvious gamechanger for your squad.

It's a really good interview if you want insight into the team and Coach Ryan. I have a Flo subscription and recommend it. Ignore the noise. They offer good content for wrestling junkies.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 28, 2024

At 133 it sounds like the better man will wrestle. Tom wants to put out the best possible lineup. He said that Davino has gotten better and stronger since he got here in June also. I just have a feeling Davino will be that guy. I think he could be an immediate title threat like Welsh was. Bouzakis just takes too many bad losses and just gets sloppy in too many matches. He lost to Knox, Santielleno, Farber, Rini Teske. Guys who he should be beating. Probably will be decided after a couple opens to evaluate where each other are at. If we get Blaze there would be an absolute logjam and Bouzakis days as a starter may be done. I am Hoping Mendes moves up to 149 after this season but says he doesn’t cut much so it may become a problem.

The roster is also going to be trimmed down to 30 wrestlers so he’s going to have to cut some guys from the team.

Carson also didn’t come back to sit. And they don’t want to redshirt Rocco. My guess is Rocco goes 184. That would mean Ryder is going to have to go 197 if he wants a shot in the lineup. He wrestled 92 kg so maybe that was his plan to get up to 197 this season. Rocco cuts a ton to make 174 so a move up a weight should be pretty easy. Might help him become more offensive.

Tom seems pretty excited about Feldman. Wouldn’t be surprised to seem him in the NCAA finals tho year.

My lineup guess
125 kilkeary
133 davino
141 mendes
149 demilio
157 sasso
165 paddy
174 kharchla
184 Rocco
197 Rotogotzke/geog
285 Feldman.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on July 28, 2024

I might be misunderstanding something or I might have missed it altogether but the 30 wrestler limit seems to be the new scholarship limit, not a team size limit.
See what you can find.

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-college-sports-roster-limits-revealed-as-house-settlement-expands-scholarship-numbers-210542040.html

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 28, 2024

Tom Ryan says all big tens wrestling teams will have a roster limit of 30. Scholarships will be decided school by school. He says he has to cut some wrestlers from his roster. He currently has 33 wrestlers.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 28, 2024

Jim: Schools will be able to offer up to 30 scholarships but also have a roster cap of 30 wrestlers. That's helpful to schools which have a lot more money to invest in wrestling. But I have a hard time imagining this will become reality especially with football being given 105 schollies as part of the new agreement.

Tom Ryan noted that NFL teams have 55 players on their roster and that it seems ridiculous to him that football programs would need 105 scholarship athletes. I agree.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on July 29, 2024

Okay, now I have another question.
One of you says the Big 10 has a 30 man limit and the other says "schools". That implies, at least to me, that it means all NCAA schools. Or, did you mean only "Big 10 schools"? BTW, I have not listened to what Coach Ryan says.
Which one is accurate?
Is it a Big 10 mandated limit or an NCAA limit?
If it is all schools, the excess talent has to go somewhere and that could be good for the lesser known programs (or D2 and D3 schools).

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 29, 2024

I am not sure on the roster limits. From Tom Ryan’s mouth he said 30 is the number for big ten wrestling. It may be all division one programs but he said specifically big ten is 30 but scholarships are up to each individual school on how many they want to give out. They could give out 30 if they wanted to.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on July 29, 2024

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Is it a Big 10 mandated limit or an NCAA limit?"

My understanding is that it's an NCAA limit. However, non-P5 schools can opt out of the limit provided they decide not to share revenue with student athletes.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 29, 2024

For those interested in hearing the interview, it is not behind the paywall.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 29, 2024

Always good to hear from Tom. Sounds like he’s struggling mentally in his recovery from the car wreck. Let’s continue to rally around him.

Lineup thoughts:

-Three former All-Americans may end up fighting for spots. D’Emilio needs to hold off Cannon, and maybe also Sasso. Sasso if he moves up to 157 runs into Gallagher. Kharchla needs Welsh to go up to 184.

-At 133, I’d bet we see Bouzakis unless Davino looks incredible. Even then, Bouzakis would need to be taking bad losses.

-165 and 197 are the weakest spots. But no one should write off Hepner or Geog.

-Mendez should be thinking Hodge trophy.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 30, 2024

Here is a good article from Flo explaining new changes.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12753476-unlimited-scholarships-roster-caps-more-in-NCAA-vs-house-settlement

Good news about Nil that is will be controlled in college wrestling. Anything over 600 bucks needs to be reviewed and fair market value. The days of hundreds of thousands of dollars to NIL are done in college wrestling as long as this is enforced. They want to eliminate pay for play. Good!!

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 30, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"
Good news about Nil that is will be controlled in college wrestling. Anything over 600 bucks needs to be reviewed and fair market value. The days of hundreds of thousands of dollars to NIL are done in college wrestling as long as this is enforced. They want to eliminate pay for play. Good!!"

Thanks for link to article. But I'm not as confident re this as you are. I expect this will raise as many questions as it answers, and/or be the next battleground for litigation.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on July 30, 2024

My thoughts:
125 – Looking back at last year, we don’t beat NC State with Kilkeary in the lineup, because he doesn’t pin Camacho. Kilkeary might win that match, but he’s not the bonus point threat that McCrone is on a match by match basis. However, I believe that Kilkeary is the better wrestler of the two, and should be the starter this year.

133 – What a decision to make. I would guess that Davino gets his 5 events and then a decision is made, similar to what we’ve seen the Buckeye staff do numerous times. If Bouzakis can make a jump from last year in consistency, then Davino stays in redshirt. If not…

141 – Jesse Mendez wins the 2nd of 3 national titles.

149 – I’m guessing we see DD here again. At this point he is what he is, although another year at the weight and another year to add muscle might help him late in some of those close losses.

157 – I am hopeful we see Sasso at anywhere near full strength, but I am not holding my breath. If not, I hope we see Wilcox or Herman, as I don’t think Paddy at this weight is the best option.

165 – This is where I think Paddy should be. I think Hepner has physical potential, but clearly was suffering from a severe case of HEW at the end of last season.

174 – What a dilemma to have! I don’t want Carson to go down, and he was wrestling well before his injury last season, but what do you do with Welsh. If the plan is to bump Rocco up, then Carson goes here and that is easy.

184 – I would redshirt Rogo and let him put on weight to get to a solid 197, and let Welsh wrestle here.

197 – I think Geog and Shumate should battle this out. Even if Rogo is better than the two of them, the difference at nationals is going to be minimal if he is not full sized, and, quite frankly, he didn’t look like a big 184 last year. Let the boy eat and lift and challenge for a title in 2026.

285 – I think Feldman takes a leap this year. He didn’t get a redshirt year because of the injury and you could see his improvement from the beginning of the year to the end. He almost had Kerk at the end of the semi match and would have gotten the hat trick against Davidson if he had. I think he is #2 at worst this year, even with Hendrickson coming back.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 31, 2024

184 I think ends up welsh. Ryan said he had one of the biggest weight cuts on the team last year and said he weighed like 200 after nationals.

Rotogotzke looks like he has committed to challenging at 197 I believe. He wrestled this summer at 92 kg (202 pounds). He didn’t opt to go 86 kg ( 189 pounds). Looks like he saw what is coming. Welsh will eventually move up so Ryder probably already started migrating up this summer to challenge for the spot.

One thing that surprised me is Geog, Welsh, and Shumate didn’t compete this summer at all.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 31, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"184 I think ends up welsh. Ryan said he had one of the biggest weight cuts on the team last year and said he weighed like 200 after nationals.

Rotogotzke looks like he has committed to challenging at 197 I believe. He wrestled this summer at 92 kg (202 pounds). He didn’t opt to go 86 kg ( 189 pounds). Looks like he saw what is coming. Welsh will eventually move up so Ryder probably already started migrating up this summer to challenge for the spot.

One thing that surprised me is Geog, Welsh, and Shumate didn’t compete this summer at all."

Shumate wrestled in a couple of tournaments.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next