Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Oly Brackets out
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 4, 2024

Amit Elor draws #1 seed in round 1. Match-up of Defending World Champ from 68KG vs. Defending World Champ from 72KG. 1st match on Mat B! WOW

Adam Coon also draws #1 seed in round 1. LONG ODDS for both to draw #1 seeds right off the bat. Adding in Coon's brutal draw is if you beat #1 seed, round 2 would most likely be vs. 4x Olympic Champ from Cuba. YIKES!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 4, 2024

There may not be a single sport in the Olympics which gets less respect than wrestling. It's ridiculous. Josh Lowe can be a tool but his tweet about wrestling getting six wt classes per style while a variety of new competitions get a variety of opportunities was spot on. Pisses me off.

That said, I'll watch and root for every American as well as American wrestlers competing for other nations. #usa #usawrestling

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 4, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"There may not be a single sport in the Olympics which gets less respect than wrestling. It's ridiculous. Josh Lowe can be a tool but his tweet about wrestling getting six wt classes per style while a variety of new competitions get a variety of opportunities was spot on. Pisses me off.

That said, I'll watch and root for every American as well as American wrestlers competing for other nations. #usa #usawrestling"

<handsclapping>

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 4, 2024

To me, it's very clear that the UWW is doing something terribly wrong in the eyes of the IOC -- or they aren't greasing the wheels enough.

I never understood why almost every other sport has multiple entrants per event from one country -- except wrestling.

Gymnastics has the stupid "only 2 athletes per country in the all-around or event finals" rule yet USA put 3 in the 100 meter dash finals today. Makes no sense either because it's clear that gymnastics and wrestling don't actually want the best "x" number of wrestlers in the world to be at the Olympics.

Look at the shot put. The USA has had the same two guys win Gold & Silver the past THREE OLYMPICS!!! If it was wrestling, the 2nd best guy in the world -- and one of the greatest throwers in the sports history, would never have even been an Olympian let alone a 3x Silver Medalist.

Wrestling is doing something terribly, terribly wrong.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 5, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"To me, it's very clear that the UWW is doing something terribly wrong in the eyes of the IOC -- or they aren't greasing the wheels enough.

I never understood why almost every other sport has multiple entrants per event from one country -- except wrestling.

Gymnastics has the stupid "only 2 athletes per country in the all-around or event finals" rule yet USA put 3 in the 100 meter dash finals today. Makes no sense either because it's clear that gymnastics and wrestling don't actually want the best "x" number of wrestlers in the world to be at the Olympics.

Look at the shot put. The USA has had the same two guys win Gold & Silver the past THREE OLYMPICS!!! If it was wrestling, the 2nd best guy in the world -- and one of the greatest throwers in the sports history, would never have even been an Olympian let alone a 3x Silver Medalist.

Wrestling is doing something terribly, terribly wrong."

1000% accurate!! Every time I think of this I get more crazy.
BTW, my other sport (cycling) is treated the same way.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 5, 2024

Elor didn’t have a tough draw. She was the tough draw. She was never gonna lose that opener. Tomorrow she wins her first of multiple Olympic golds. A legend is born.

Btw, her brother is former Bucks wrestler Orry Elor. He competed at 197 or 285 under Tom Ryan.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 6, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"To me, it's very clear that the UWW is doing something terribly wrong in the eyes of the IOC -- or they aren't greasing the wheels enough.

Wrestling is doing something terribly, terribly wrong."

I think it's hard to argue that we should have multiple entrants per country per weight class when we don't do that at Worlds.

If we did allow multiple entries per country there would have been games in the past where half the bracket (or more) was Russian, which is a large part of the reason we haven't gone that direction.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 6, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

I think it's hard to argue that we should have multiple entrants per country per weight class when we don't do that at Worlds.

If we did allow multiple entries per country there would have been games in the past where half the bracket (or more) was Russian, which is a large part of the reason we haven't gone that direction."

Just the fact that it has not been done for World Championships is not a good justification That is simply saying that "we have always done it that way".
If the second best wrestler in the World comes from the same country as the best, that should DQ him from a chance at being a silver medalist?

Regarding the second part, I would say "so what". None of us was ever in a room where that decision was made so we have no idea what the thinking might have been. IMO, it relates to the first point, why should the second best guy be unable to compete?

Should there be a limit per country? Perhaps but it should not be just one. As was pointed out, this does not apply in T&F, swimming, gymnastics, and a host of other sports. I agree with Brady on this, wrestling is not doing it right.

► Add to the Discussion