Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Mitch Clark discusses Kyle Dake
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 12, 2024

Nice post of Facebook from former Bucks NCAA champ Mitch Clark where he tells you things you might not know about Kyle Dake:

"There are not many people that you meet in a lifetime that you have ultimate respect for, off the top of my head I can think of two…. Russ Hellickson and Kyle Dake. Ironically both Olympic medalists & 2X Olympians who fell short of their Olympic dreams. Over the course of the last 4 months, I witnessed Kyle (and his brother Cory) care for his father in a hands on unselfish manner that I can’t describe and I won’t try to because I can’t give it justice.
We all watched Kyle make an Olympic team in stoic fashion this April, days after his father passing with family there to celebrate. What people don’t know about Kyle is he and his father ran a Lansing Youth wrestling club all through his college and International career. Kyle for many years also taught a 3 week PE wrestling curriculum in the Lansing Elementary. He did all of this for free to promote wrestling in the community and that’s not even close to the the half of it, people that know him well can attest. He served his community well just like his late father. It sounds dopey to say that I look up to someone 15 years younger than I but we need more Kyle Dake’s.
Kyle is the #1 seed in his weight class but was upset today in the Olympic Semifinals. He will wrestle in the bronze medal match at around noon tomorrow. I don’t have faith that Peacock will tell his story properly but when you watch him go after his second Olympic medal tomorrow, know that you are watching something special."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Mitch Clark discusses Kyle Dake
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on August 14, 2024

Great message from Mitch, and I'm glad to see him being spoken of in such a manner as I think Dake gets a little bit of flack. My son wrestles in the Westlake youth program, Doug Dake is Westlake's only state champ in school history (although Nick Lawrence came so close 15ish years ago but was stopped by that ludicrous batch of lightweights in that era - Clark, White, Sako, Dicamillo, Mines, etc.). The old time coaches still speak highly of him and the MVP awards at all level of the program are named the Doug Dake Hammer award. Doug sounds like he was a titan in the sport and somebody who gave back his whole life. This sport lives off of selfless people like this.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion