Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: David Taylor
Bill Splete added to this discussion on August 16, 2024

Article on David Taylor and his decision to take the role at OSU. Looking at the numbers, he knows his worth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/retiring-to-coach-osu-david-taylor-opens-on-adapting-to-6-million-worth-role-am-i-good-enough/ar-AA1oRZEL?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=477312f5870f4adfa45a27f5f5558242&ei=31

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 17, 2024

$1,000,000/yr. With escalators plus $1,000,000 signing bonus.

Everything is getting more expensive. I thought it was just coffee, gas, bread, etc.

Good thing most of us follow TOSU. It will be very few schools who have, or care to spend, that much for a coach.

Worth it? We will see. I’m sure this is a big bump in short term enthusiasm in Stillwater.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 17, 2024

It’s mind boggling to me. I believe this makes him the highest paid wrestling coach by a wide margin, which is bananas. One of the articles about this indicated that John Smith’s salary last year was $500k. Rookie Taylor comes in making double that off the bat.

I don’t think many schools —including Ohio State—have the sugar daddy’s to fund the program like this.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 17, 2024

I think Oklahoma State, a school with the most storied tradition in the collegiate history of our sport, did what was necessary to re-emerge as a top program. Clearly Oklahoma State values wrestling and was willing to pay a handsome sum for the best available coaching prospect. Bold move in my opinion.

David Taylor is the most successful wrestler Cael Sanderson has ever produced. He's won championships at every level and has been one of the most dominant wrestlers in the world for several years. He's getting paid like a boss because he deserves it.

In the meantime, the Cowboys instantly surpassed schools like tOSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Mizzou, Iowa State and Iowa as a challenger to PSU. And they cleaved a chunk out of PSU while doing it. Sanderson lost his all time greatest competitor as well as a couple of his coaches. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Game on!

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

Ohio state will be the next team to challenge Penn state not Oklahoma state. This year Penn state is beating everyone by a landslide.

After this year Oklahoma state basically loses all their big point scorers at Ncaas. Plott, amine, Hendrickson, Hamiti all graduate. It’s going to take a few recruiting classes to get Taylor to challenge for a title if he can prove to land big time prospects. He has all the money he wants to get these kind of guys however. I could see them making Bassett a millionaire.

Penn state loses Bartlett, Kerkvliet, Starroci. They still have tons of talent behind them but I think Ohio state can challenge.

Welsh, Feldman, and Mendez should all be the favorites in two years at their weights. At 184 top 5 guys are seniors. 141 Bartlett and Allirez are gone. 285 Hendrickson, Kerkvliet, bastida all graduate. Then Ohio state has guys like Rotogotzke a bonus point machine, bouzakis, davino, and paddy who should all American. Then kilkeary, Birden, Shaw, Geog, cannon who all are capable of scoring a decent amount of points. If we land Blaze or Bassett I really think we have a legitimate shot at Penn state. Ohio state is so young and talented they can really make a push after this season with the rosters both teams have. However if Penn state feels at all threatened they will have the advantage in the portal as Ohio state seems hesitant to do.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

Yeah, the transfer portal today makes it a lot more difficult to project 2 years out than it used to be.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

Nick: I think you're using old assumptions to assess at a time of new rules (or lack thereof).

Bottom line--I think PSU, Iowa and Oklahoma State are going to buy the best wrestlers. They have the money and apparently the will to do so. Michigan will be a niche player in this game.

Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

I feel like you guys are short changing what Penn State does in the non-portal recruiting world. Ohio State’s class from two years ago was excellent, but Penn State does similar year in and year out. It’s not like they’re just going to stand still and let other team’s young stars mature while they wait for the rest of college wrestling to catch up to them. They have equal or better talent coming in every year. Will it last forever? No. But it shows no signs of slowing down that I can see. Am I missing something?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

Michael, I don’t think you’re missing anything. I don’t see where what you’ve said disagrees with what others are saying. Nick says Ohio State will be the main challenger to PSU sooner than Oklahoma State will be. That doesn’t mean PSU is dropping off a cliff or that they won’t still win.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I feel like you guys are short changing what Penn State does in the non-portal recruiting world. Ohio State’s class from two years ago was excellent, but Penn State does similar year in and year out. It’s not like they’re just going to stand still and let other team’s young stars mature while they wait for the rest of college wrestling to catch up to them. They have equal or better talent coming in every year. Will it last forever? No. But it shows no signs of slowing down that I can see. Am I missing something?"

Mike--Even more to the point, look at how well they develop their talent. PSU rarely brings in a big time recruit that doesn't quickly transition to a title contender.

My assumption is that Taylor will use PSU methods to attain similar results at Oklahoma State. Thats a lot for me to assume but he has brought in coaches and wrestlers from that environment.

We'll see how good Taylor is at achieving Cael-like results.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 19, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"We'll see how good Taylor is at achieving Cael-like results."

Seeing that D.T. was Levi Haynes' coach in HS and he was a NCAA runner-up as a true freshman, that's more on D.T.'s coaching than Cael's coaching.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 20, 2024

I don't know? I look at it through the only similar experience I have: the Gable era Iowa Hawkeyes. Through the 80s, 90s and 2000 many amazing wrestlers went through that program. Many of them moved into the coaching world. None of them came anywhere close to recreating what Gable did at Iowa. Many of them had great success, but not Gable success.

Coach Ryan has been a fantastic hire for tOSU. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But we can all agree that he hasn't been able to match his mentor's results. The same can be said for Tome Brands. I feel like the same will be said for David Taylor. I think he'll be successful. He'll have individual AAs and champions. He'll likely win team titles, but like Coach Ryan and Coach Brands and everyone else not named Sanderson, he won't be able to be the next dominant force in college wrestling.

Of course, everyone (including me) said that about Coach Sanderson and he did it. With my track record of being wrong, maybe my lack of endorsement will help Taylor achieve legendary status in the coaching world?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 20, 2024

D.T. and Okie State could be a disruptor. Loads of cash to the tune we haven't seen before.

You are paying these athletes like professionals and they have to come to the game ready. It's really following that professional format that performance is what matters most. I think athletes have to behave better due to the affiliation with a University which is not under the same constraints as a professional entity. Ferrari will be somewhere this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they start making these NILs conditional on behavior.

That Steven Buchanon is supposedly getting 500k for a semester worth of performance seems crazy to me. It wasn't that long ago that you wrestled without financial incentive and/or little to no scholarship.

Ultimately, time and the market will decide what happens.

Also, I suspect that way more athletes are going to get a TUE for Adderall. When it significantly enhances performance and the guy across from you uses? Are you going to let that happen? That focus you need in the latter part of the match which decides winning and losing. That Energizer bunny effect in which the opponent keeps going and going...

► Add to the Discussion