Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Dan was right...
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

When Dan Cosimi first mentioned to me that he wanted to create a forum where only real names were used, I thought it was a poor idea. As I saw it, anonymity allowed certain people the opportunity to post their thoughts that were close to situations upon which they couldn't otherwise comment.

But as time has passed, I recognize that the benefits of a real name forum far outweigh any negatives. Go to any other wrestling forum and read what people say. Even though many posters are knowledgeable, decent people there are always some that use their anonymity to trash kids, coaches or programs about whom they know nothing or to advance an agenda. As an example, writers on themat.com wrote vicious things about Cornell wrestler, Adam Frey, throughout the season. It now turns out that Frey's struggles were because he had a huge cancerous tumor in his gut. But no one should have been trashing him. All they knew was that a great high school star was suddenly struggling. And that was enough reason to write nasty things about him.

Recently, the Today Show has brought up the topic of anonymous posting. A young teenage girl committed suicide after an unknown writer began smearing her on MySpace. Turns out the writer was an adult neighbor. Another example--Some college campuses now have websites devoted to student gossip. Evidently, these websites have been particularly noteworthy for discussing the sex lives of other students. People can slander others reputations at will with little fear of having their identity disclosed. It can be particularly damaging to young women who's escapades (real or imagined) are revealed to an entire campus. Without accountability for the posters on these gossip forums, the reputations of others can be impugned as a lark.

I'm glad that Dan Cosimi insisted that using real names would make this a better wrestling forum. On balance, he was right.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

ditto <thumbsup>

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

I hope someday I have a brilliant idea such as this and people will commend me for my work.

maybe once my "Mondays with Maggie" program on the Big Ten Network takes off in a couple years. <thumbsup> what do you think?!

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

Quote from Maggie Lamantia's post:

" I hope someday I have a brilliant idea such as this and people will commend me for my work.

maybe once my "Mondays with Maggie" program on the Big Ten Network takes off in a couple years. <thumbsup> what do you think?! "

"Mondays with Maggie" - I like it. <thumbsup> Who is going to be your first guest? It has to be a compelling interview to keep the viewers coming back.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

I concur with Hank's assessment. I don't post a great deal here. I tend to just read and use this site to keep myself informed, but most assuredly, I post even less on other forums due to the character of discussion which I believe you can attribute to the hiding behind a screen name.

Anonymity seems to open up individuals' inhibitions (or I should say, show a lack there of). On other sites, the ability to hide behind a screen name tends to permit discussions to go to places that individuals normally wouldn't. People try to bait you into frivilous confrontations. I, unfortunately, have taken the bait before and regretted that I did.

I have been in favor of the using of real names from its inception. It seems to really have provided a great deal of intelligent, and even some times heated, debate. Even the "intense" discussions have been done for the most part with respect for others opinions. I am glad to see it work out so well for OhioWrestling.net. <thumbsup>

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

Kudos to ohiowrestling.net. I'm a fan.

Mr. Proudfoot... "Beginner luck."

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

I agree...
Websites with anonymous posters have nothing but slander on it. Good thing everyone on here is mature enough.

GOOD JOB DAN!!! <sign_oh> <sign_io> <thumbsup> <smile> <strong> <rolleyes> <cool> <wave> <smiling>

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"

Who is going to be your first guest? It has to be a compelling interview to keep the viewers coming back."

it'll be Tom Ryan of course.

and I'll be explaining to him how I'll have his job in 15 years of course. <smile>

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Another example--Some college campuses now have websites devoted to student gossip. Evidently, these websites have been particularly noteworthy for discussing the sex lives of other students. People can slander others reputations at will with little fear of having their identity disclosed. It can be particularly damaging to young women who's escapades (real or imagined) are revealed to an entire campus. Without accountability for the posters on these gossip forums, the reputations of others can be impugned as a lark.

"

The only thing that gets me with these is why kids let people slander them on myspace instead of blocking them or not reading the messages.
And while gossip sites do have their disadvantages, there are advantages to them...
Just my 2 cents

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 13, 2008

I really appreciate the forum for this reason as well. Thank you.

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

"

The only thing that gets me with these is why kids let people slander them on myspace instead of blocking them or not reading the messages.
And while gossip sites do have their disadvantages, there are advantages to them...
Just my 2 cents"

and what might these advantages be? I don't really like anything about the word "gossip" ...being a 17 year old senior girl...i would know ALL about that junk.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on April 14, 2008

[quote="Maggie Lamantia"]

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

"

and what might these advantages be? I don't really like anything about the word "gossip" ...being a 17 year old senior girl...I would know ALL about that junk. "

Good point...
The only thing I can really think of right now is the "communicate with people of my interest"

might be the only one...
I stand corrected...

Gregg Heinrichs added to this discussion on April 14, 2008

Ok, now Maggie I'm mad. I thought that you may have someone locally be your first guest. HMMMM. <sign_oh> <sign_io>

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on April 14, 2008

they said it has to be COMPELLING...not boring.! what does NW Ohio have to offer?! <smile> kiddinggg. miss you mr. H!

ps- be looking for a grad invite to a certain future Buckeye's graduation party. <sign_oh>

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 14, 2008

The average fan has to appreciate the decorum of the participants. Hopefully you are getting the necessary "views" that make it worthwhile. Also appreciated is the work done on the "extras", the menu items across the top, which are excellent references.

Keep up the good work. <thumbsup>

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next